We live in a world where change is accelerating. Jobs are being created and eliminated at an unprecedented rate, and there has never been a greater need to upskill, reskill, and adapt.
The good news is that there are more opportunities to learn new skills and stay on top of your game. The bad news is that the pace of change is so rapid that keeping up can be challenging.
This article explores how skills management software can help you upskill your workforce, the benefits and challenges of doing so, and some ideas for improving skills.
Table of Contents
The Need to Upskill and Reskill the Workforce in 2022
The skills gap is a serious and urgent concern for businesses and economies worldwide.
A McKinsey Global Institute report suggests that by 2030, automation will cause between 400 and 800 million job losses worldwide.
As a result, people must learn new skills to remain employed in an ever-changing world.
Businesses can use skills management software to identify employees’ skills and stay ahead of the curve.
Companies can invest in training and development programs that upskill their workforce by tracking employee performance and identifying skills gaps.
This is vital for ensuring that employees can adapt to new technologies and processes and keep up with the pace of change.
Upskilling: Hopes and Fears
In an increasingly technologically driven world, workers’ ability to keep up is more important than ever.
Fortunately, many employees are rising to the challenge. In a recent PwC survey of workers, 40% reported successfully improving their digital skills during the pandemic, which is a hugely encouraging sign that they are willing and able to adapt to change.
Moreover, 77% of respondents stated they are ready to learn new skills or completely retrain, reflecting a growing realization that lifelong learning is essential in today’s world.
Unsurprisingly, industries such as retail and transport (which are most vulnerable to disruption) scored relatively poorly on the survey; only 20% of respondents said their employers provided opportunities to improve their digital skills, highlighting the need for these industries to do more to invest in their employees’ futures.
Ultimately, workers are increasingly taking matters into their own hands when keeping their skills up to date. 74% of respondents viewed training as a personal responsibility.
Again, this is a positive sign that workers are aware of the need to adapt and improve continuously. Undoubtedly, workers will be able to meet the challenges of the future head-on with the right attitude.
How to Prepare for the Future of Work
As the future of work rapidly changes, it’s more important than ever to ensure that your workforce has the necessary skills to stay ahead of the competition.
According to the World Economic Forum’s report on the future of work, improving access to and delivery of reskilling and upskilling opportunities is critical.
With these findings in mind, here are five tips for improving access to such opportunities:
- Understand the skills you will need in the future: One of the best ways to prepare your workforce is to understand which skills will be required. The World Economic Forum’s report on the future of work is a great place to start.
- Identify workforce gaps using skills management software: Once you have determined which skills your business will need, you can use skills management software to identify workforce gaps and help you decide where to focus your reskilling and upskilling efforts.
- Encourage employees to take charge of their development: This is a crucial ingredient of successful reskilling and upskilling programs. Employees will be more engaged if they are encouraged to identify their development goals and seek learning opportunities.
- Invest in training and development programs that upskill your workforce: Of course, investing in training and development programs is essential to improving your workforce’s skills. However, throwing money at the problem is not enough; you must also ensure that you invest in effective programs that meet your employees’ needs.
- Stay agile and adaptable to change: Organizations must stay responsive and flexible to change because the world of work is changing rapidly. This means being open to new ways of working, experimenting with new technologies, and continually evolving their approach to reskilling and upskilling. Organizations can ensure their workforce is always ready for what’s next by remaining flexible and adapting to change.
Solve Today’s Problems with Tomorrow in Mind
Skills management software can help promote a lifelong learning culture in your organization.
You can encourage employees to take charge of their development by making it easy for them to find and sign up for training courses, which is essential for keeping your workforce agile and adaptable and can also help boost morale and engagement.
Skills management software provides several benefits for businesses. First, and perhaps most importantly, it helps reduce the skills gap. Ensuring that you are always utilizing your employees’ skills by tracking them can help you put the right people in the right places, improving employee satisfaction and reducing business risk.
Second, it allows you to make better decisions. Understanding your workforce’s skills enables you to achieve your business goals more easily while reducing costs.
Finally, by facilitating the achievement of business goals, skills management software can help improve customer satisfaction. Customers who see your business achieving its objectives are more likely to be satisfied with your products and services.
Therefore, skills management software provides many benefits that can help your business.
You can define roles within the company and assign them to workers using AG5 software.
You can also create all necessary skills, allocate them to one or more roles, and specify the minimum level for each skill.
Additionally, the software allows you to track the percentage importance of each skill for a given position. This is an excellent way to ensure that the firm has the appropriate employees in the best places and that they are continuously developing their skills.
You can also link skill development to course completion and extract data for in-depth analysis using multiple report types.
So, if you’re looking for a way to manage your workforce effectively, AG5’s skills management software is a great option. Schedule your live demo today!